PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Friday, March 5, 2010

A Glaze of Glory

{Before}


{After}

I had my first experience with paint glaze today. I've wanted to try it for a while. I purchased these crosses about 4 years ago at Big Lots. I love Big Lots, by the way. I liked the design of these crosses, but I didn't much like the Italianate paint job with the fake terra cotta look (although they do sorta match my kitchen decor like that...hmm, interesting). I decided to go with black even though now that seems sort of boring considering all the awesome colors I could've chosen. But I was a little hesitant to use a vibrant color for fear they'd look like souvenirs from Tijuana. (Well, and also because I have 10 cans of black spray paint in my garage from another project that never happened.) I may decide later to reverse the colors and use an off-white base with a dark glaze. That would've been very nice come to think of it. But it was fun to be creative again and get paint all over my hands.

I've always had an intrinsic need to create art in my life. I feel happiest when I'm painting and creating. I love to oil paint, but only when I have the time without distractions. Nothing is worse than getting all my supplies out, getting into a groove, having fresh paint mixed exactly the way I want it, seeing a canvas coming to life, and then suddenly being forced to stop before I'm ready. I guess I'll need to learn to get over that if I ever plan to paint again. One day I'll post some photos of my oil paintings on here. I'm starting to get this major urge to be creative and artistic again. This little glazing project just fed the urge. I'd really love to try my hand at glazing an old piece of furniture, like an old chair or small accessory table. The glazing process is quite simple and the sky's the limit. I'm going d-o-o-o-w-w-w-n in a glaze of glory (thanks Bon Jovi).

1 comment:

Jesse and Leslie said...

Beautiful!!! You got skillz sista!