PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Monday, February 8, 2010

A New Wardrobe Option for the Princess and the Pea

Nearly 3 years ago, while on an SPD web support group, one member was seeking feedback for a potential business idea. The idea? Make completely tagless, seamless, Soft Clothing for all children, and especially for those kids with sensory sensitivities. I thought it was brilliant! I gave my words of encouragement and support because dressing our sensory sensitive daughter has always been a struggle. Her ever-growing list of clothing that don't make the list include those with tags, embellishments (glitter, rhinestones, ribbons, lace, etc.), buttons, denim, seams, itchy fabrics (anything that's not cotton), and binding elastic. Well, that pretty much eliminates every thing except sweat pants, T-shirts, and some leggings, shorts and skirts. The older Lily gets the more difficult the task to find clothing for her. Girls' clothing seems to be getting more complicated and embellished - not as many cute all-cotton outfits. The most popular pant designs right now are jeans and cargos. This past fall, I was actually forced to buy sweat pants in the boys' section in order to get the right fit and comfort level that our little "Princess and the Pea" requires. This is not exactly what I had in mind for dressing my little girl. I want her to embrace her femininity. Periodically I have visited the Soft Clothing website to check on the status. And finally, today, I visited their site to see if they are up and running and taking orders. Yes! At last. Even though they offer a very limited selection, their clothing is simple, classic, easy to mix-and-match, affordable, and most importantly guaranteed to be soft. Thank you, Soft Clothing! I will be buying one of each.

(Other places where I periodically find acceptable clothing: Old Navy, The Children's Place, Hanna Anderson, Target, and Wal-mart. But never have I found one place to guarantee cute sensory clothing until Soft Clothing.)

No comments: