PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Friday, February 3, 2012

The Mystery of History

I have finally found it! I believe I have found a homeschool curriculum guide for leading classical, chronological, complete Christian world history lessons called The Mystery of History. So many curriculum guides in this area are tedious, complicated, and time-absorbing leaving little time for other things such as phonics and math...and being a kid. So what's cool about this curriculum guide is that it gives simply laid-out history lessons with suggested activities for varying age levels. For the younger students, the suggested activities are very hands-on and fun. We all can get excited about that! We have the flexibility to pause and further explore a time period and/or culture with library books and Scripture. At this point I'm probably way more pumped about these lessons than Lily and Schaeffer. I get to learn history in its proper perspective for the first time in my life (no thanks to my public school education). The best way to teach HIS-story is by telling it as the story of God and man so that kids have an understanding of why we are here. It only makes sense to tell the story from the perspective of the Sovereignty of God and His providence in our lives. And to top of this really great find, I happened upon it at a used curriculum sale. God is still in the business of showering down blessings!

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Will you be using this in addition to the school Lily attends? Also I found more about my daughter's SPD, she also has auditory processing which we are in therapy for and now we just found out she needs vision therapy for a condition called convergence. I think of you often, especially when I am feeling overwhelmed, I only have one child..how you do it all amazes me!!!

Emily said...

Hi Pamela, I'm sorry you are going through all this. It is tough! We have been through all those things with Lily, except the vision issue Lily has is strabismus and is helped with corrective lenses. Currently, she relies on glasses with a prescription of +8.5 (that's a lot). But, in 1.5 years her vision has improved from 20/400 to 20/40 with her glasses on. We have found all of this to affect her learning abilities but she is a trooper and is succeeding at school.

We are emphasizing a classical education, even though River's Edge does not do a classical education. The structure of the school and school day lends itself to supplementing with classical lit and history at home. It's a fun addition to the basics of phonics, reading and math.

Some days I am overwhelmed, but by God's grace we are able to function :)