PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Saturday, April 4, 2009

Not Without God

It seems lately that I've run into people who are facing challenges in their lives. Of course, who isn't? There are always things going wrong or not the way we'd like. The nightly news is full of bad news, which I guess is to be expected since it's the reality of this world. In addition, people are facing personal struggles and I've heard a variety of them lately: marital problems, struggles with weight and health, issues with children, finances, and questions about the future. And many times the "answers" I've been hearing to these struggles have been quite off base. So I wanted to share a little something I came across today that really hit close to home.

"We have arrogantly exalted ourselves, and we've come to believe we can fix every ailment without God...Jeremiah issued the Lord's stern rebuke: 'My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water. (Jeremiah 2:13)'" By Franklin Graham


So I guess we can continue trying to use our own "broken" methods to fix our problems, which God clearly labels as "sin." Or, we can return to the spring of living water (His name is Jesus!) and never thirst again. No, the problems will not go away, but by seeking His help it forces us to humbly say "I can't do this without you, Lord, even when it seems the world (books, TV, well-meaning friends) offers so many practical solutions." And through this we stop exalting ourselves. We come face-to-face with the Truth, humble ourselves, and give Him all the glory!

No comments: