PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Monday, September 1, 2008

Icky Icky Sicky

Ahhh, the lovely morning sickness has reared it's ugly head. It started yesterday with a full day of nausea. Today seems to be slightly better. I think it'll be worse on the days that I push myself really hard. I'm still trying to keep my running schedule until it's just physically impossible. I ran on Friday morning and then Saturday we did a hike and swim with our Bible Fellowship. It was loads of fun! But yesterday I was really paying for all that physical activity. I always forget how much energy a tiny little bean-sized fetus can suck out of me. Luckily, with this pregnancy I feel more prepared than ever to control the nausea and fatigue. I've already scheduled my day so that I get a nap around 2 or 3 p.m. when the kids are sleeping. And I've started on the gestational diabetes diet to keep my blood glucose levels stable. The diet consists of eating three meals and three snacks per day keeping it at a total of 2100 calories per day. Each meal or snack consists of 1-2 servings of healthy carbs (fruit, veggies, whole grains), one serving of lean protein (grilled or baked chicken, fish, turkey, nuts, and occasionally red meat), and absolutely no desserts or sweets. Right now the no dessert rule is easy since I'm not craving anything like that at all. In fact the thought of them makes my stomach curl. But later when my appetite is flying high and someone offers me a big piece of chocolate cake, I may have to stop and pray a lot!!!

Tomorrow we go back to the OB for another ultrasound. I expect to see the baby measuring 5 weeks. We still won't see a heartbeat until 6 weeks. Based on the nausea and fatigue, I have to assume everything is going the way it's supposed to.

No comments: