PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Friday, September 19, 2008

And the latest from here...

I'm still feeling yucky most of the time, especially in the evenings. I guess if I have to feel really bad during part of the day I'd rather it be when BJ is home and able to take care of the kids. I'm 8 1/2 weeks and only have to take progesterone supplements for 2 1/2 more weeks - that's great news!!

And some even better news, Schaeffer's pediatrician is wanting to wait on the CT scan. He will be waiting until his 18 month well-check to see how his head growth is going before making the decision to move forward with the CT scan. I'm thrilled about that because I hate putting my kids through testing - it's stressful for everyone involved. And that news also reassured me how this is not a big issue worth worrying over. If Dr. Feld wants to wait then I know it's not that big of a deal.

Schaeffer starts speech therapy on Tuesday. He still does not say a single word - not a single one - and he doesn't even have a sound for certain words, except for "bbrrrmmm" when he's playing with cars (such a boy!!). Dr. Feld's main concern wasn't so much his lack of words as it was his lack of babbling and variations in sounds. He believes the words will come eventually. At this point it doesn't make since to allow him to lag behind if help is available and we have the insurance to cover it. By 18 months, toddlers are putting together words to form sentences such as "more milk," "want ball," etc. A major leap in language expectations occurs in just 2 1/2 months and he will be falling further behind unless we seek some help. I know this road all too well since I chartered this course with Lily just about 2 years ago. At this point I feel like an expert in infant/toddler development. I just praise the Lord that we have excellent health coverage that includes developmental delays. I've learned that many people do not have that sort of coverage and in order to get help they must pay full price out of pocket or decide to not get the help their children need.

No comments: