PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I Love Weddings

I love weddings and all that they mean: God joining together one man and one woman to become one flesh. It may seem like a ceremonial ritual to a lot of people (or a binding legal contract). But before God it is a lasting promise. It points to the covenant He has set between Himself and mankind. Even though people may separate and divorce here on earth, a marriage remains binding in the sight of the Lord ("Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate." Matt 19:6) . It points to a wonderful promise. Even when life's circumstances may pull us in many directions and greatly influence our emotions and desires, we can still trust that the Lord will never leave us nor separate from us. We are His and He is ours forever. When we accept Him into our lives, we become one.
Next month my friend Lori will be marrying the man whom she loves (Lori pictured to the right trying on wedding gowns - isn't she beautiful?!). I am very excited for her. Marriage brings about so many new revelations in life. In my marriage I have come to understand more about myself and others. I've come face-to-face with compromise, submission, and love under all circumstances. Marriage has a way of harvesting the fruits of the Spirit. Without the fruits of the Spirit in marriage it becomes nothing more than two people living together, like roommates who cross paths in the living room and who happen to sleep in the same bedroom.

And then when God blesses a married couple with children, joy and love only grows deeper. It was not until the moment when I first laid eyes upon my newborn baby girl did I experience just a fraction of what God the Father must feel for us every day. It has become such a strong awareness that I would lay my life down for my little ones if it meant saving theirs. And to think that God allowed His son to die for all of us who are severely undeserving of such grace.
I am proud to say that BJ and I will be celebrating 10 years of marriage on July 11. Marriage has been such a wonderful thing -- an amazing picture of our relationship with our Savior and our Maker. I pray that the Lord bestows blessings upon Lori and her fiance and that their home and marriage be a reflection of His love for others to see.

"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death" (Song of Solomon 8:6).

No comments: