PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Monday, August 2, 2010

Re-arrangin'

Amazing! As soon as I think I have everything I need for Baby Four, such as crib, bedding, rocking chair, baby gadgets, toys, clothing, etc., I'm still totally amazed at how much re-arrangin' is required before another baby arrives. This time my baby registry might look more like this: a high-capacity washer/dryer, a second dishwasher, twin beds for the boys in order to free up a crib, a larger dining room table, a housekeeper, and diapers...oh, and meals for 2 months because I'm sure it'll take me at least that long to get a meal prepared. If anyone asks me where we are registered, I might just say, "Rooms To Go, Sears, Cracker Barrel, and Merry Maids."

We are in the process of setting up a "big boy" room for Schaeffer and Griffin. They will get to share a room and have their own twin beds. I will be sure to take plenty of before-and-after photos to post here. But for now we are in the research phase. That pretty much involves shopping around for twin beds that won't put us in the broke house, and finding creative storage solutions to stow all their clothing and toys since space is getting a bit tighter for them. I am soooo grateful that we bought a house with large closets in every room!

Idea board:

And then we will be in the process of finding a new dining room table. It will become necessary to eat all our family meals in the dining room and not the breakfast nook - we simply won't fit there. The dining room set (table, chairs, buffet, and 2 glass-front corner cabinets) we have now is really pretty, solid mahogany, family heirloom. The top of the table has become brittle with age and so whenever we use it I keep it covered with a table pad and tablecloth. That's just not practical with family meals. I really don't want to wash a table cloth every day (And I don't like the plastic ones. Brings back memories of my Granny's house with plastic on sofas, chairs, tables, and floors. Just can't do it!). Little Bro Matthew is getting the mahogany set for his new house and we will be buying something really practical (read: sturdy, scratch proof, play-doh/paint/crayon proof). We have an antique sideboard that we'll be moving into the dining room and it'll become much needed storage. Again, I will be sure to take plenty of before-and-after photos. This project is proving to be more difficult because the price of dining tables and chairs is CRAZY and I want something sturdy (real wood).

BJ is in the process of researching high-capacity washer/dryers. He swears it'll change our lives (probably more like his life because he generally does the laundry around here...I know, I gotta good man).

As far as baby stuff, we are covered! I cannot imagine a single baby item we will need except for a 2-3 years' supply of Pampers.

2 comments:

Kristy said...

A few years ago, when we were setting up our own 'big boy room', we went to Carolina Furniture on old Broadway and bought a great set of bunkbeds for the boys. We used them for a while as twins in two different rooms, then made them into bunks when we put all 3 boys together. They are about to go back to twins as we prepare to separate the boys into two rooms again. I don't remember what we paid for them, but they have been worth every penny. Super sturdy, REAL wood furniture. Much better than the cheap, fiberboard set we bought from Brown Squirrel.

As far as BJ's research on washers and dryers - tell him to forget GE - don't even consider them. Trust me.

jen said...

oh man, that all sounds so exciting to me! It is a good thing that I am so frugal and Shaun says no more furniture because reading this post put me in major nesting mode. With that being said if there is anything that I can do to help please let me know. I will keep you all in mind when I am out thrifting, I have seen some great matching twin beds around in the past few months! Can't wait to see how different things will look!