PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Paci-Free in 4 Weeks - Week 2

Lily is doing great with giving up her pacifiers during the day. She has even stopped asking for them. However, she has replaced the paci habit with a new habit: nail biting. I'm not sure which habit is worse. She has chewed almost all of her nails down to the skin. Today she chewed them so much her finger started bleeding. When Lily sees blood she has a complete meltdown which involves screaming, crying, and body shakes. I think it sends her into a full-fledged panic attack. I've been reassured by the doctor that no one has died from a panic attack so it's not detrimental to her health if she goes hysterical - that's good to know. I guess the reward chart is working and helping us toward our ultimate goal, but I'm not exactly sure how to handle the nail biting now. Check back next week on our progress and hopefully I will have found a solution for stopping the nail biting.

1 comment:

Pamela said...

Bless her little heart! They make a polish you can put on the nails that tastes bitter but I have heard that most kids get past the taste and continue to chew on their nails. The good thing is that winter is approaching and you could just keep mittens or gloves on her, lol!