PHANEROO \fan-er-o-oo\Greek: to manifest in word or deed.


Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Not Cut Out for the Big World of Preschool

I guess Lily is just not ready for the big world of preschool. As much as I want her to be ready, she just isn't. Today I made it official and withdrew her from the really fabulous program at Messiah Lutheran. Her teacher was really great and the director was very sweet and helpful. Maybe we will try it again next year.

Lily never really enjoyed preschool (playschool would be a better description of the program). I only remember three times when she was somewhat excited to go, and those times she was more excited about showing off her new rubber frog and dinosaur to her teacher. Every school morning was a battle: "Come on Lily, let's get up and go to school today." The usual response would be, "No Mommy! I don't want to go. I don't like [school/my teacher/other kids]." And then the straw that broke the camel's back was the day she threw a huge tantrum when I dropped her off. Her teacher said the tantrum lasted about 45 minutes and then she refused to do any of her work all day, which are things she normally loves to do such as coloring, painting and gluing. And now we're having difficulty getting her to go into her class at church on Sundays and some Wednesdays. This had gotten much better over the summer, and it's what made me decide to try preschool this fall. I guess it was just too much too soon.

I've been told that this behavior can be normal for her age. But then I look around and see other 3-4 year olds who look forward to going to their classes at church because they get to play with their little friends. And, I haven't met another 3-year-old lately who hates "little kids" as Lily says. For some reason I don't believe Lily's behavior is completely typical at this age. Some days that's frustrating, and some days it's upsetting because I think why can't she just be normal. But then I come to grips with it all and realize that Lily is Lily and this is the way God designed her to be. It's funny for me to think she should be someone else or act like someone different. She is perfect just the way she is. She has so many other talents and special qualities that I should not overlook. Certainly God does not overlook any of her qualities, and He knows every hair on her little head.

1 comment:

The Knight Family said...

Oh Emily, once again I think you are such a good mommy. you are always so "in tune" with what it RIGHT & best for your kids. She will be ready before you know it. just enjoy her being home with you - she will be a teenager before you realize it. Enjoy these preschool days with your babies! :)